Things of note:
- I left off our hotels in San Fran and in Carmel because we didn't love them and I wouldn't recommend them.
- If you're thinking of skipping Oregon, that's the wrong decision. Other than Big Sur, the prettiest parts of the drive were southern Oregon. Plus, people were nicer there.
- I don't really like California. Maybe it was preconceived notions, but I didn't like the vibe of the people and somehow I just can't take them seriously! This may be my New Yorker blood surfacing here, was just interesting to realize.
- We drove 1503 miles in 12 days. We paid one toll- $6 to cross the Golden Gate bridge in San Fran. Crazy!
- Here was our itinerary, for those who want to reference it:
- Portland, OR (2 nights)
- Newport Beach, OR (1 night)
- Gold Beach, OR (1 night)
- Mendocino, CA (1 night)
- San Francisco, CA (2 nights)
- Carmel, CA (1 night)
- San Luis Obispo (1 night)
- Palm Springs (3 nights)
And now, some pictures to whet your appetite for the west coast...